|The finished Memorial in 2013 with stonemason Leon Bennett|
The Bromsgrove Cemetery was built in 1858. In 2007 the Memorial at the centre of the Cemetery was taken down for reasons of safety. It was then taken, in pieces, to a conservation stone mason in Worcester, until September 2011 when it was removed to a more protective site.
Avoncroft Museum of Buildings, The Bromsgrove Society, The Housman Society, The Victorian Society, and the District Council, began working together in 2011 to restore the Memorial. The Heritage Lottery Fund gave a generous grant towards the costs of restoration and the publication of a heritage trail, a tree trail, and information boards.
Generous donations to the funds were also made by the Giles Trust, Edward & Dorothy Cadbury Trust, Bromsgrove Court Leet, The Bromsgrove Society, The Housman Society, and many individuals. The Memorial was re-erected in its original position by Croft Ltd in May 2013.
The carved stone memorial is of high Victorian design, made from four different coloured stones, and when you enter the Cemetery by the main gate, is an important feature of the design of the place. The Cemetery is a quiet and beautiful oasis with wonderful trees, many of which were planted when the Cemetery was created.
John Adams was, when he died aged 91 in 1858, one of the oldest and most influential inhabitants of the town, employing large numbers of Bromsgrove people. He was A.E. Housman's great-great-uncle.
There are many other historic memorials in the Cemetery, some of which are featured in the recently created Historic Walk leaflet. The research needed for this proved to be very interesting and we hope will raise more appreciation of the Cemetery in Bromsgrove.
|The Memorial in 2007||Volunteers researching the graves|